Came across an interesting issue where Customer was not able to access Disaster Recovery drop downs.
I tried it myself and I was getting as follows:
So it was Local agent not responding – I tried restarting the Cisco DRF Master and Local but that didn’t help.
This is what I did to resolve the issue:
- Log into Cisco Unified Communications Manager OS Administration page.
- Went into Security > Certificate Management.
- Do Find all
- At the bottom there was ipsec.pm – I clicked that and regenerated the file
- Found all ipsec-trust certificates and deleted them
- Then went into tomcat.pem and regenerated it as well
- Restarted the Cisco TOMCAT service (from CLI) and Cisco DRF Master / Local and TFTP from GUI
It was all working fine after that.